Day 2: Center for Global Sustainability Studies

Tuesday 06/26/12

Selamat Tengah Hari

Today was quite interesting! I have been waking up naturally at 6:45am every morning just in time to hear the fauna begin their morning songs. We all have different views from our hostels (dorms), but I must admit, I really love my jungle view the best. There are few cars and buildings (compared to the rest), no ocean view; but plenty of tropical flora.

Today’s Fun-filled Schedule:

9am

• Welcoming remarks
9:30am
  • Prof. Kanayathu Chacki Koshy Sustainability at USM
10:15am
  • Dr. Suzyrman Sibly Kuala Nerang Project
11am
  • Tea Time!! (The Best Time!!)
11:15am
  • Dr. Asyirah Abdul Rahim Recycling Project
12pm
  • Dr. Nurulain Abdullah Bayanuddin (Director of Pusat Sejahtera) Health Care within Campus Community
12:45pm
  • Lunch
2pm
  • Assoc. Prof. Dr. Azlan Amran Masters in Development Practice (MDP)
2:45pm
  • Assoc. Prof. Dr. Mahamad Hakimi Ibrahim Waste Management
3:45pm
  • Tea Time (My favorite time!)
4pm
  • Quick Visit to Pusat Sejahtera (USM Clinic)
  • Composting Demonstration
5pm
  • End
Today we had a day filled with interesting lectures. We learned about USM Center for Global Sustainability Studies (http://cgss.usm.my/) (which I absolutely loved!), a few community empowering projects (flood preparation + using worms to recycle cow dung into a resource), recycling projects, Pusat Sejahtera (Health care SYSTEM on campus), Masters Development Practice http://globalmdp.org/ (which was my original career aspiration but USF Global Health Department gave me that and more), and we even went out to learn how to properly compost!! We were treated so awesomely with 2 tea time breaks (which is code name for delicious attack of lunch foods with coffee and tea). I learned new recipes to try back home and many other things I cannot remember to jot down.

Other than the random notes above, I manage to remember to write down is that USM is exactly what USF is all about. If I could convince my love one to live out here in Penang, Malaysia for my PhD studies I would! (That is like a 0.00000000000001% chance, but hey a girl can dream! lol) In other news: I reread my syllabus (wished we didn’t have one lol) and my journals are pretty basic! So I will keep a written journal in order to post my partial experiences on the blog as I originally intended yay!!! One thing about being abroad is that you learn real quick that it is similar in other parts of the world. If you do not make local friends… you will be bored out of your mind!!! So far our day ended about 5pm, well 4:55pm to be exact.

Haven’t been here long enough to meet any local people that are not afraid to speak English. But it seems the boys are having a blast (but don’t they normally get a free pass no matter what culture you are a part of?) While the 3 boys go off and explore the island (Malaysia has 14 states and Penang is an island state). I am usually stuck near my hostel BORED OUT OF MY MIND. \( -_-)/ The other ladies want to skype or do other video calls with their family all day since they found a little internet connection or are resting or simply do not want to do anything. We arrived during USM’s final week and 90% of the students have either left or preparing to leave for holiday after their final exam on or before Friday 06/29/12.  Since I am a female, it is not really a smart thing to go off exploring a foreign country on your own. Normally I would, but since I promised loved ones back home that I wouldn’t be “reckless” this time.

Needless to say, I am BORED OUT OF MIND!!!!!!!!! No exploring, no people, no tons of money to shop, no computer-heck no internet anyway all equals to NO FUN AT ALL!! (Well after program lectures anyway). Well guess I will finish reading my leisure book and read some more of my bible until I am able to catch up with the boys or one of the girls feel the spirit to take in their scenery……

My homesick jewelry, bible, & leisure book

Boredom continued:

To prevent boredom in the hostel, I actually pulled out my books the Bible and All There Is and fell completely in love with Romance all over again. (We hang out every now and then, Romance and I). I immediately felt like Julia Roberts in Eat, Love, Pray. I have taken the time to relax and simply enjoy the amazing food since I have left the U.S.; I feel myself transitioning into a different mindset focused on spirituality for the next couple of weeks; and finally I will return to the U.S. where my love is (im)patiently waiting for me (well, at least I think so). I imagine my arrival will be as captivating as all the super romantic love movies such as Eat, Love, Pray; The Notebook; and The Lion King (yes the Lion King! Don’t forget Simba & Nala’s mini reunion). I cannot help but to allow my imagination to run off as I am surrounded by this amazing environment. Girl leaves country for school. Girl returns back to country to work. Guy sweeps Girl off her feet for a happily-ever-after! Yup, I just imagined a love story montage… just like UP! … Not sure where my mind is… but I am sure it is near the equator somewhere trying to escape this boredom!

Speaking of UP!… Enjoy:

Check out today’s videos:

Maybe tomorrow will be better!

Krystal